102 total views, 1 views today
Well, it’s fair to say that the IPL is well and truly here. There was excitement, nerves, controversy, emotion, drama on the field today, in the clash between RR and KXIP, 2 rather underrated teams. There were also plenty of numbers to work with, for the stats buffs!
Here are some interesting nuggets from today’s play:
- KXIP’s total of 184-4 is the highest score by a visiting team in Jaipur in the last 7 years.
- Chris Gayle became the fastest player to reach 4000 runs in IPL. He took 112 innings to achieve this feat, marginally bettering David Warner’s 114.
- Jos Buttler’s averages 99.4 in his last 7 IPL innings, with scores of 67, 51, 82, 95*, 94*, 39 and 69. Bradman-level, quite literally.
- This was the first time Kings XI Punjab beat the Royals at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium.
- Kings XI’s top order had 5 ex-RCB batsmen: Gayle, Rahul, Agarwal, Sarfaraz and Mandeep. Add Karun Nair to that list (probably in future games), and you’ve got more than half an RCB team in there!
- The Royals lost their last 8 wickets for just 62 runs, and threw away a match that was in their firm grasp.